This is a delicious recipe that takes no more than fifteen minutes to make. You could easily pick up all the ingredients on your way home from work. The trick when you start is to boil the kettle and fill the pasta pot with boiling water to get it going quickly. You should manage to make the sauce in the time the pasta cooks! If the bacon isn’t to your liking it would be equally as delicious with some chicken strips stirred through it instead. Enjoy!
120g assorted mushrooms (try the Woolies exotic mushroom pack), sliced
A drizzle of olive oil
200g thick cut streaky bacon, sliced into chunks
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon of chopped thyme
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
4 tablespoons crème fraiche
1 lemon – zest and juice
Salt and pepper to taste
• Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
• While the water is coming to the boil, heat a good frying pan until very hot and add the olive oil.
• Fry the bacon bits until crispy and remove from the pan.
• In the same pan with the olive oil that was used to fry the bacon, fry the sliced mushrooms. You want them to cook through but also brown a bit so make sure the pan is very hot!
• Once the water is boiled, add some salt to it and cook the pasta as per the instructions on the packet. They are usually about 10 minutes, but some brands differ slightly.
• While the pasta is cooking, add the bacon to the mushrooms with the thyme and the garlic. And keep warm
• Drain the pasta and stir through the mushroom mix. Add the crème fraiche, lemon, spring onion and season well with salt and cracked black pepper. Shave some parmesan over the top and serve.