24 strips of samoosa pastry (purr)
water for brushing
for the filling:
500g sweet potato, peeled and cubed
a drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper
½ onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon curry powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 handfuls of English spinach
100g goat’s chevin
salt and pepper to taste
vegetable oil for frying
a pastry brush
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Place the sweet potato in a roasting tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes until the potato is soft and starting to crisp.
- Heat a deep frying pan and add another drizzle of olive oil.
- Gently fry the chopped onion until soft and add the cumin seeds. Fry for a minute and add the remaining spices. Cook for a few more seconds, stirring all the time.
- Add the spinach to the pan and fry until soft.
- Take off the heat and stir in the goat’s cheese. Season to taste.
- Fold a teaspoon of filling into the samoosa pastry, keeping the “triangle” at right angles the whole way. Brush the pastry with water to make it stick.
- Deep fry in vegetable oil at 180C until gold, drain and serve.